Learn more about us
All rights reserved.
|300 Main St. Elkins WV 304-636-1590
First Church of Christ
The Church of Christ began construction of its building around year 1911. It was a huge
undertaking that obviously required much faith in order to start such a costly structure at the
time. We still meet in the same structure today, right here at the corner of Main Street and
Worth Avenue, however a number of rooms have been added and improvements made since then.
How shall we summarize what kind of Church we are? Perhaps these points will
- A Christian Church. "We are Christians first, but not the only Christians". Our
message is that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. He alone is Lord and
- Jesus is the Head of the Church. The Church belongs to Him. We have no authority to
change the teachings, rewrite the rules, alter membership requirements, or usurp His
- A Church seeking unity. “In essentials unity, in non-essential liberty, and in all things
love”. We are non-denominational, with roots in the Restoration Movement started by
men like Thomas and Alexander Campbell, and Stone. Like the Campbell’s and Stone,
members of this Church seek to be one in Christ with all others he calls his own.
- A Church seeking to restore. As much as possible we imitate the original New Testament
Church. That is why baptism is by immersion, communion is every Lord’s Day, leaders are
called elders, our preaching is about Christ, and our prayers are in Jesus’ name. Even our
church name is rooted in the earliest days, when the disciples were called Christians and
their congregations were often addressed as Churches of Christ.
- An Apostolic Church. The church, Ephesians 2:20 states, is “built upon the foundation of
the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief corner stone.” Whatever
we know about Christ and the Church we learned from Jesus’ closest companions, the
- A thinking Church. In the same Ephesians letter, Paul prays that God will give a “Spirit of
Wisdom and Revelation,” so that you may know him better….” Humans were the only
creature created in the image of God, which means God gave us ability to reason rationally
and logically to discern truth. Christian faith demands the best our minds can give, so we
are a studying Church, seeking to apply biblical truth intelligently.
- A feeling Church. Ours is not a dryly intellectual approach to God. Fellowship is a sign of
a healthy church. We rejoice and praise and pray and love and serve from the heart. We
are unashamed of the gospel and not embarrassed to let our excitement be seen.
- A sharing Church. We share our faith and love with as many as we can reach with our
possessions as persons who know that everything we have belongs to God to be used for
Click on the following articles to learn more about us